TARTAN & THE
The badge of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) is a Mullet of the
Coat of Arms of the Douglas family upon a stringed Bugle Horn, within
two sprays of thistles.
The badge reflects the origins of the regiment and its connections
with the ancient and powerful Douglas family.
It also commemorates their origins in the Light Infantry,
as indicated by the bugle horn.
Bugles were used in light infantry regiments to give signals in
the field in the same way as the drum was used in infantry line
regiments. In 1881, the new amalgamated regiment was designated
as a rifle regiment.
The Cameronians did not wear tartan until 1881 when, in common
with other Lowland regiments, they adopted the Government, or Black
Watch, tartan. It was only in 1891 that the regiment was authorised
to wear the Douglas tartan, which was taken into use the
following year. The use of the Douglas tartan reflects the origins
of the 26th Cameronian Regiment. In 1881, when the regiment was
designated a rifle regiment, the officers and men were clothed in
the distinctive Rifle Green cloth with bands of black thistle lace
on the shako and black cords. The pipers of the regiment also wore
the Douglas tartan.
Douglas (Regimental) Tartan
Source: The Scottish Regiments by Diana M Henderson
Published by Harper Collins.